[CW: Graphic discussion about sexual activites and goopy gory stuff, lots of yelling.]
FULL DISCLOSURE: We recorded this the night before we left for RCCC last week. We just didn’t have time to edit it. Pretend we’re still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at the prospect of going to a convention in a city that is on fire and also full of fascists.
QUESTION AND ANSWER TIME! This week we take questions thrown at us by the readers ranging on a huge range of topics, from favorite panel layouts to slice of life comics to casting your own fist in concrete. Join us for a spell, won’t you?
Theme: “It’s Time”, by Cybervision
[CW for: explicit language, discussion about sexual content and assault in media, occasional loud noises.]
WE LIVE!!! After our brief “the world went to absolute shit” hiatus, we’ve triumphantly returned! And we just can’t WAIT to yell at you about comics.
STUFF WE MENTION IN THIS EPISODE:
- Lettering! We finally get around to talking about it, since people have been asking. What to do, what not to do, what kind of pens do you use, etc etc etc. We basically just dig into this for like forty-five solid minutes.
- Strangers in Paradise, The Maxx, Scud the Disposable Assassin, and rereading stuff before recommending it.
- Also touched on: subliminal imprinting via Aeon Flux, peeping your peepers peeled, Dream Daddy problems, and whether Sonic takes off his shoes before having sex.
THIS EPISODE’S RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Nature of Nature’s Art, by Zachary Braun. Talking animals! Fight sequences! Convoluted philosophy! Some stuff I don’t… entirely… think was a great idea! We dig into this uncompromising postmodern webcomic classic. (Also mentioned in the ep: grey Folie’s sharp NofNA crit, which can be found on their blog here.)
- My Brother’s Husband, by Gengoroh Tagame. Cultures collide between a recently divorced Japanese father and his dead brother’s Canadian husband in this heartwarming slice-of-life comic from literally the last person you would expect to be mentioned in the same breath as “heartwarming slice-of-life comic”. Don’t miss it!
Next episode should go up in September 4th! We’re gonna stay on this horse this time, we promise. WE ARE TF’ING INTO CENTAURS, WE’RE STAYING ON THIS HORSE SO HARD.
Music this episode: “It’s Time”, by Cyber Vision. I’m thinking about just making this the standard theme for Season Two? It just sounds so nice.
SO. Yesterday was International Podcast Day, and we realized we haven’t put out an episode in like two months, so we decided to cut an episode that night. At 10 pm. Without picking any topics, or doing any research. The result is…. really something. Just a warning, btw: Guttermouthing is always at least somewhat blue, but this episode gets a little ruder than normal, so maybe keep it to headphones in a work environment.
The lettering episode is next! We’re aiming to have it out before October is over, we promise.
THEME MUSIC: “L.A. Looks”, by HEALTH
G’DAY MATES!! Recovering from moving between residences, getting sick, and a whole lot more, we BRAVELY FORGE AHEAD with this newest episode on character design!
SOME STUFF WE MENTION IN THE EPISODE:
- My cousin Christian’s website is here: http://christianbenefiel.com/home.html He’s super good!
- re: Why Doug Sucks, from @Iron_Spike: https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/756633229386391552 Just check out her tweets from there forward for a bit, they’re not reply-chained together but it’s good stuff.
- Jeff Smith’s Twitter is at @jeffsmithsbone. You can get a big-ass omnibus of Bone (sans the new coda, of course) here: http://www.alibris.com/Bone-The-Complete-Cartoon-Epic-in-One-Volume/book/23085995?matches=32 It’s the cinderblock that props up every worthwhile modern GN collection!
- The Jojo’s wiki is, in fact, called Jojo’s Bizarre Encyclopedia. http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
- Look, just anything involving the Moomins is good, okay? http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=moomins+tove+jansson&mtype=B&hs.x=0&hs.y=0&hs=Submit
- Jeremy Sorese’s “Curveball” can be found here: http://www.alibris.com/Curveball/book/32577509?matches=24
ALSO OH SHIT I FORGOT TO MENTION DURING THE EPISODE!! There’s a digital collection of Y? out! Seminal mid-00’s lesbian furry webcomic that’s been long extant until now. GET IT HERE: https://chux.itch.io/the-y-omnibus
See you in August! If we don’t get eaten by scorpions or something while camping, that is.
THEME MUSIC: “Metatron”, by Darkside
Not a dream! Not an alternate universe! This is a tape of Guttermouthing’s FIRST-EVER LIVE SHOW/PANEL, held at Biggest Little Fur Con at the Grand Sierra Resort and Casino in beautiful Reno, Nevada earlier in May. TOPICS COVERED INCLUDE: Scripting! Panel layouts! A lot of obsessing over typefaces! Web and print distribution! And of course, being NICE to people. This is a good place to start if you’re new to the show, so feel free to dip in (and try to ignore how nervous we sound)!
Also hey, check out our new website! Pretty swank, huh?
This week’s theme: “100,000” by Jai Paul
IT’S 2016!!! Three months since our last show! We’re back and just ITCHING to talk about all the hot action that went down last year. What was good? What was bad? What are we excited about for 2016?? Hear all this PLUS why we hate Disney, strong publisher opinions, and robot toy worldbuilding issues AND MORE– it’s a jam-packed episode, so dig in!
THEME MUSIC: Parts & Labor, “Echo Chamber”.
BACK AND IT FEELS SO GOOD, BABY! We just returned from Rainfurrest and decided to fill another episode with talking about furry conventions. (Mostly.) (Almost entirely.) In this installment, we go over P’s and Q’s for selling at them, including making travel plans, drawing commissions, selling to customers, and most importantly NOT BREAKING STUFF. Many of these tips can be applied to other convention vendor setups too! And some can’t! Listen on to decide which ones are which!
WE DIDN’T DO A READING LIST THIS WEEK BUT HERE ARE SOME LINKS:
Night Physics, by Austin Holcomb: nightphysics.tumblr.com/
Ritts’s Patreon: www.patreon.com/87452?ty=h
The place where we get cheap badge clips on Ebay: www.ebay.com/itm/100-ID-Badge-C…ash=item51d8190fd6
Next week: Zines, anthologies, and small press publishing! Probably won’t have a lot of furries in it if you’re not into that kind of thing. I can’t make any promises, though.
THIS EP’S THEME: “Bones”, by Adebisi Shank
MIMOSA NIIIIIIIGHT! Mama sippy.
There wasn’t a heck of a lot on our comics radar this fortnight, so we ended up talking about some stuff we’ve wanted to talk about for a while instead! And then we kept talking. And talking. It’s a long one, folks.
– Super Turbo Atomic Ninja Rabbit: Is it homage? Is it derivative? Is this one of those things where I’m being way more paranoid about it than I should be?
– The 20-Year Gap, and “fake nostalgia for the unremembered 80’s”. I’m sorry, I couldn’t find “Losing My Edge” in the right file format on my computer, so I didn’t end up using it for the theme this episode. MAYBE IN THE FUTURE??
– SCAD reminiscences, and advice for current or future attendees. (1. Be nice. 2. Know what you want to do, but accept criticism. 3. OH MY GOD HAVE YOUR FINANCES ON LOCK, IT’S SO UNGODLY EXPENSIVE FOR A DIPLOMA THAT MOST PEOPLE ASSUME IS FAKE.)
THIS WEEK’S READING:
– O Human Star, by Blue Delliquanti – ohumanstar.com/
– The Story of Graphic Design, by Patrick Cramsie – www.alibris.com/The-Story-of-Grap…830849?matches=44
THIS WEEK’S THEME: Mr. Oizo, “Gay Dentists”
DON’T STOP DRAWING, FOLKS
PUT THE KIDS TO BED! CLOSE THE BLINDS! SNAP ON THOSE BIG-ASS NOISE-CANCELLING HEADPHONES! We get down and dirty with the most sssssensual episode of GUTTERMOUTHING yet. (It’s not actually that erotic. But we do talk about porn comics for like a solid hour!)
SUBJECTS COVERED INCLUDE:
– Porn process. How do you make it? Why do you make it? What drives you?
– A couple words about a couple words, and why we should think about why we use them
– Watch out for gross people!
– A big list of artists whose work we actually think WOULD represent the erotic furry comic scene pretty ok (Chris Goodwin, Mouse Arthur, Art Decade, Austin Holcomb, Moult, Lobst, Ritts… god, I think we mentioned some others in there too)
– Basically: it’s cool to like porn in 2015, but only if you stay REALLY FUCKING AWARE about why you like the stuff you like and how that influences how you act in the real, actual world
STUFF WE’VE BEEN READING THIS WEEK:
– the Moomin series by Tove Jansson – www.alibris.com/Moomin-The-Deluxe…169014?matches=17
– Wandering Son by Shimura Takako – www.alibris.com/Wandering-Son-Vol…103941?matches=19
Title music: “Yay” by Zammuto
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, WE HAVE A SPECIAL GUEST ON OUR SHOW. It’s D.E. Belton, Comics Skel(e)ton! He’s completely delightful.
TOPICS COVERED INCLUDE:
– COMIC CON WRAP UP. Everything was silly.
– TOKYOPOP IS BACK! You can’t spell “hell no” without “OEL”.
– GENDERQUEER/NB CHARACTERS IN COMICS UPDATE: there is one (1) in the new Secret Six issue! WE DID IT. WE FINALLY MADE IT
– MARVEL GOES HIP-HOP WITH NEW VARIANT COVERS. Marvel, you’re not Teefury! Stop trying to be Teefury!!
-COLORING IN WEBCOMICS! What we like, what we don’t like, how we handle it ourselves. FULL DISCLOSURE: we’re all very, very picky.
WHAT WE’VE BEEN READING THIS WEEK (a lot)
– What Kinda God Are You Anyways?!, by LovelyLeonidae – what-kinda-god-are-you-anyways.smackjeeves.com/
– Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei by Koji Kumeta – www.alibris.com/Sayonara-Zetsubou…232621?matches=17
– Skyscrapers of the Midwest by Joshua W. Cotter –www.alibris.com/Skyscrapers-of-th…611174?matches=19
– The Midas Flesh by Ryan North, Braden Lamb & Shelli Paroline –www.alibris.com/The-Midas-Flesh-V…100876?matches=18
– Moomin by Tove Jansson www.alibris.com/Moomin-Book-One-T…556338?matches=22
– Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure by Hirohiko Araki – www.alibris.com/Jojos-Bizarre-Adv…644405?matches=16
JEFFREY TAMBOR! God DAMN it I KNEW that dude’s name. Anyways. This is a great episode. LOOK AT MR. BELTON’S STUFF HERE: http://getdestroyed-staydestroyed.tumblr.com @toxictoothpick
This week’s theme: “Kennedy” by Ratatat
It’s been a busy, busy last few weeks! Seattle went from cool and moist to hot and dry. Nero is having issues with wrangling our cat. Iris is having a mid-fursona crisis. And to top it all off, IT’S COMIC CON SEASON!
Topics covered include:
– San Diego Comic Con! Our HOT PICKS on what’s COOL AND FRESH at this GIANT MEDIA SPECTACLE that we DO NOT GIVE A TOOT ABOUT.
– Nerds vs. artists: Who’s more annoying? (Nerds.)
– Where’s All The Money In Comics? Look, I read a really interesting article here:loser-city.com/features/what-we-…t-money-in-comics
– Mad Max: Fury Road: Furiosa: The Dude Who Wrote It: Shut Uuuuuup
– I finally read Pluto! It’s completely dope, obviously.
– Magic Mike But What If He Was Actually Magic, and sundry other bits of weird stuff sprinkled throughout.
Join us next fortnight for more commentary on the HOT BUTTON ISSUES in comics, as well as more excessively explicit horsing around. Don’t listen to this one at work, folks!
It’s been too long, GUTTERMOUTHING listeners! We’ve been on the road at two consecutive furry conventions, and if that kind of thing weirds you out then BAD NEWS: we spend like 75% of the episode talking about them.
Topics covered include:
- Biggest Little Fur Con in Reno, Nevada, and why it was great
- Furlandia in Portland, Oregon, and why it maybe wasn’t so great
- It’s 2015 and if you aren’t at least a LITTLE bit furry then what are you even doing
- Half page ads in comic books: another baton-twirl in DC’s Homecoming Parade Of Hostile Stupidity
- FEATURING CHESTER, OUR CAT, IN A RETURN APPEARANCE!! Hello Chester! Who is the best cat in the world YOU ARE.
STUFF WE’VE BEEN READING:
Next update on June 11th! Also we’ll be migrating to archive.org for our back files since Soundcloud is being a pain about uploading massive, massive sound files. UNTIL THEN: bear with us (MAYBE LITERALLY)!
Theme music: “Babies Are The Future” by Shit Computer
BING BONG! We almost made it three whole episodes without mentioning furry pornography. ALMOST. Sorry (not really).
TALKING POINTS IN THIS EPISODE:
– Frank Miller. Why are we still giving this guy money?
– One Punch Man & Gangsta. Webcomics getting adapted into anime is cool!
– Patreon Pledging-And-Dashing. Don’t be a Grinch, seriously.
– Naming Comic Projects. Are puns really the best way to go? (Yes.)
– Avengers 2: Avenge With A Vengeance. We do NOT like Joss Whedon, Jeremy Renner or Chris Evans. We DO like Scarlett Johansson and think she should ditch the whole thing. You might disagree, but you can’t deny that Ultron is a SEVERE hottie.
WHAT WE’RE READING THIS WEEK:
– The Pilotside Chronicles by Ian Merch – www.pilotside.us/
– Travelogue by Aatmaja Pandya – traveloguecomic.com/
– Kit ‘n’ Kay Boodle by Richard Katellis – kitnkayboodle.comicgenesis.com/ (NOT SAFE FOR WORK)
We’re on iTunes now! Rate us there! Also watch our new Twitter at @guttermouthing that we don’t mention in the show due to us creating it right after we built the site! We’re also on tumblr at guttermouthing.tumblr.com.
TITLE MUSIC FOR THIS WEEK: “All Is Well…” by Ras G & the Afrikan Space Program
PLUS, OUR COMICS:
It’s been a weird two weeks since our last episode! In this installment of Guttermouthing, we discuss:
- Oni Press is open for submissions on May 1st!
- Tony Millionaire vs. the Baltimore City Paper, and “questionable content” creators
- Frank Cho’s House of Ruth donation, and looking gift horses straight in the mouth
- Brian Michael Bendis writing Iceman as gay, and the problem with straight people writing queer characters
- Batman Vs. Superman, and whether there’s any facet of this that doesn’t look totally absurd
- Simon Hanselmann. Dude, just, like, what happened? Is everything okay??
WHAT WE’VE BEEN READING THIS WEEK:
Title Music – “Rook To Queen’s Pawn Six” by Fujiya & Miyagi
Also, sorry about all the kitty noises. Reese was really excited and kept jumping up on Nero’s desk. Unless you like kitty noises, in which case this episode has SO MANY KITTY NOISES.
– IJ & NO!