[CW for: explicit language, discussion about sexual content and assault in media, occasional loud noises.]
WE LIVE!!! After our brief “the world went to absolute shit” hiatus, we’ve triumphantly returned! And we just can’t WAIT to yell at you about comics.
STUFF WE MENTION IN THIS EPISODE:
- Lettering! We finally get around to talking about it, since people have been asking. What to do, what not to do, what kind of pens do you use, etc etc etc. We basically just dig into this for like forty-five solid minutes.
- Strangers in Paradise, The Maxx, Scud the Disposable Assassin, and rereading stuff before recommending it.
- Also touched on: subliminal imprinting via Aeon Flux, peeping your peepers peeled, Dream Daddy problems, and whether Sonic takes off his shoes before having sex.
THIS EPISODE’S RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Nature of Nature’s Art, by Zachary Braun. Talking animals! Fight sequences! Convoluted philosophy! Some stuff I don’t… entirely… think was a great idea! We dig into this uncompromising postmodern webcomic classic. (Also mentioned in the ep: grey Folie’s sharp NofNA crit, which can be found on their blog here.)
- My Brother’s Husband, by Gengoroh Tagame. Cultures collide between a recently divorced Japanese father and his dead brother’s Canadian husband in this heartwarming slice-of-life comic from literally the last person you would expect to be mentioned in the same breath as “heartwarming slice-of-life comic”. Don’t miss it!
Next episode should go up in September 4th! We’re gonna stay on this horse this time, we promise. WE ARE TF’ING INTO CENTAURS, WE’RE STAYING ON THIS HORSE SO HARD.
Music this episode: “It’s Time”, by Cyber Vision. I’m thinking about just making this the standard theme for Season Two? It just sounds so nice.